Info for applicants

What kind of degree programs does the CMC offer?

The CMC is not an independent degree granting institute but a division of Columbia University’s Department of MusicTo find out more about how to apply to Columbia’s music degree programs, please refer to these resources:

Undergraduate Sound Arts MFA Music Dept PhD/DMA

Undergrads must apply through an individual school.
Details available here:

Undergrad Applicant Info

The Sound Arts MFA program is physically located at the CMC, but it is administered by the School of the Arts.

Sound Arts Applicant Info

Prospective PhD/DMA students apply through Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).

PhD/DMA Applicant Info

Do I need to be a music major to take courses at the CMC?

No. Any student, staff or faculty member at Columbia University is welcome to register for our classes, as space allows. You also do not need to have any previous formal musical training. Please see our courses page for more information.

Do I have to be a graduate student to work at the CMC?

No. CMC courses are open to students of all levels at the University. However, some classes have prerequisites and may have many of their slots reserved for graduate students. See our courses page for details.

How can I apply to study at the CMC?

The CMC is not a “major” or a program of study, and does not admit students; all CMC students are drawn from the general Columbia University academic community. To work at the CMC, first, you need to decide what degree program you wish to apply for and then contact the appropriate school at Columbia.