Computer Music Center columbia university home
music department home


What kind of degree programs does the CMC offer?

The CMC is not an independent degree granting institute but a division of Columbia University’s Department of Music. To find out more about Columbia’s music degree programs, please contact the Department of Music.

The Sound Arts MFA program is physically located at the CMC, but it is administered by the School of the Arts.

Do I need to be a music major to take courses at the CMC?

No. Any student, staff or faculty member at Columbia University is welcome to register for our classes, as space allows. You also do not need to have any previous formal musical training. Please see our courses page for more information.

Do I have to be a graduate student to work at the CMC?

No. CMC courses are open to students of all levels at the University. However, some classes have prerequisites and may have many of their slots reserved for graduate students. See our courses page for details.

How can I apply to study at the CMC?

The CMC is not a “major” or a program of study, and does not admit students; all CMC students are drawn from the general Columbia University academic community. To work at the CMC, first, you need to decide what degree program you wish to apply for (see above) and then contact the appropriate school at Columbia. Applications for graduate music degree programs, for example, are processed through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Can I use CMC facilities without taking a CMC course?

No. You must first learn how to properly use the CMC facilities by taking a course with our trained staff before you can gain access to any of our studios. After you have completed a course, you may continue to have limited access to some of our facilities for the duration of your studies at Columbia.

Can I rent time in the CMC recording studio?

Generally, no. Only students who have taken our Sound Recording course may have access to the CMC recording studio. Students currently enrolled in the class have priority over students from previous semesters. However, exceptions are occassionally made for projects from other Columbia University schools and departments, or for exceptional projects from outside of Columbia. Contact our Studio Manager for details.

Can I borrow CMC equipment for my performance gig?

Generally, no. CMC equipment may only be used for CMC-affiliated concerts/performances. If the performance is within the Columbia University community, you should inquire within your academic department or contact the Audio Visual Technical Services in Lerner Hall for appropriate sound equipment.

I am conducting research on a composer who worked at the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center. Is there an archive of old recordings at the CMC?

Yes. To find out whether the CMC archive contain works by a particular composer, and for information on how to gain access to the archive, please contact our archive manager.

I am organizing a concert on historic electroacoustic music and I would like to feature a work that, to my knowledge, is only available through the CMC archive. Is there a way that I could borrow the recording?

Under special circumstances, we may be able to make an analog or digital copy of rare works found in our archive for external use. For more information, please contact our archive manager.

I would like to reproduce a photograph from the CMC archive in a book or other publication. How do I get permission to do so?

Please contact our archive manager.

Are there currently any job openings at the CMC?

Job openings at Columbia University are posted through the Human Resources department. Please note that candidates for any academic position (teaching/research) should hold a doctorate degree or equivalent in a relevant field (music composition, digital media arts, etc.).

I need to copy music from an old record/cassette/DAT/minidisc to CD or harddisk. Can someone at the CMC help me?

The CMC does not have public facilities or resources for making copies of old recordings. However, students are often willing to do such work for a fee.